Sunday, November 24, 2013

Back Story

My name is Ben and I am currently a Junior at Indiana University - Bloomington. I am about to undergo double-jaw surgery. In simple terms, I have a very bad underbite so they are moving my upper jaw forward and moving my lower jaw up and back to make it a "normal bite".

I've have never done this whole blog thing but I am going to try to document how this surgery goes for some people to follow and mostly for future people to read because I know reading these have really helped me mentally prepare for what I am about to go through.

I will try to provide pictures and details on how I am doing through most of the journey. If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, please leave them in the appropriate post and I will repspond to them there.

Just to give you some background, I am having double jaw surgery {Lefort I Advancement Bilateral BSSO (Bilateral Sagital Split Osteotomy) Setback}, which from what I can remember has somewhat been expected since I was in middle school but we have tried different things like headgear to help prevent surgery but it eventually became obvious that I was going to need surgery.

This is the second time I have had braces on, I had them on for about two years in middle school and I got them put on again during the Spring Semester of my freshman year of college (yes, braces in college are as much fun as it sounds.... not very). So now it has been almost two years that I have had braces on and the surgery is finally here.

I have never really known any different so it doesn't bother me much, I get comments from time to time about chewing gum with my mouth shut or ask how I even eat. It's something that doesn't really bother me, although I have wondered many times I've eaten with my mouth open and I didn't realize it. 

With my bite it is very hard to bite off food sometimes, for example me trying to eat traditional wings is hopeless, whenever I have tried I normally end up just eating the thin fried bread on the outside. Also, from what I am told, the way my mouth currently is could lead to giving me gingivitis since I sleep with my mouth open which leads to my gums drying out almost every night.

No comments:

Post a Comment